Saturday, March 19, 2011

It's A Messy Job!

Today's post is a tutorial that I found on http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/.  It's a tutorial on how you go from this



to this...


To start, fill your tray (I used the small Stampin' Up! Powder Pals tray) with shaving cream and add a few drops of Stampin' Up! reinkers.



And with a wooden stick swirl the reinker around in the shaving cream.


Take your cardstock and lay it into the tray of shaving cream, making sure you have the front of the cardstock completely covered with the shaving cream.


Now here comes the messy part.


Using paper towels wipe the shaving cream off the cardstock in a swirly motion.



When you take the cardstock out of the shaving cream, you can also place a second piece of cardstock over the first piece and 'smush' it into the shaving cream.


So when you pull them apart both pieces of cardstock will be covered with shaving cream.


Wipe the shaving cream off these in a swirl motion as well.  The longer the shaving cream is on the cardstock the darker the color will be




After you let the cardstock dry you can use it in a lot of different ways.  This is the first card I made.


Supplies
Cardstock:  Confetti White, Basic Black, Whisper White, Pretty in Pink and Bashful Blue
Stamp Sets:  Heartfelt Thanks, Teeny Tiny Wishes
Classic Ink:  Basic Black, Pretty in Pink
Reinkers:  Pretty in Pink, Bashful Blue, Certainly Celery
Accessories:  Certainly Celery 5/8" Satin Ribbon, Stamp-a-ma-Jig, SNAIL

Tips
  1. Use a neutral cardstock for the shaving cream, I used Confetti White.
  2. I haven't tried it, but I don't know if using Whisper White cardstock would be good, it isn't very heavy.
This is the second card I made with the same 'batch' of shaving cream.


Supplies
Cardstock:  Basic Black, Pretty in Pink, Confetti
Stamp Sets:  Artistic Etchings and Tiny Tags
Classic Ink:  Basic Black
Punches:  Jewelry Tag, 1/16" Handheld Circle Punch, Top Note Die
Accessories:  Basic Black 1-1/4" Striped Grosgrain Ribbon, Linen Thread, Stamping Sponge, Vintage Wallpaper Textured Impressions Embossing Folders

I hope you try out this technique, and if you post it to your blog let me know so I can check it out.

6 comments:

Anne Marie Hile said...

Such a cool technique, Tammy! I have always wanted to try this one but probably need to do it outside since I tend to be "accident-prone". Your cards came out beautifully! :)

SherriC. said...

these turned out soooo pretty Tam.....thanks for the tutorial

Unknown said...

Great backgrounds, and your cards are beautiful! Following you through SC. I'm #380 on the list. Happy stamping!

Michey said...

What a fun technique! I love the swirly effect that it leaves on the paper! Thanks for sharing this, it was a new one for me =D

Penny Hanuszak said...

Gorgeous cards! Thanks for the instructions.

Crystal said...

Thanks for sharing this! It's been quite awhile since I've done this technique, but you've got me itchin' to try it again! :) Thanks for the tip to smush the two papers together to get more use from the shaving technique - I hadn't heard that before! :) Love what you did with the final result, too! :)